Frozen Banana Split Dessert


This Frozen Banana Split Dessert is the perfect recipe if you are feeding a crowd.  It is easy to make and inexpensive when you consider one recipe makes up to 24 servings.  My daughter turned 21 a few days ago, and we were having a big family dinner to celebrate.  I thought after 20 years of cake, she might like something a little different.  I dug through my treasured book of recipes to see if I could find a fun idea for dessert.  It is an old 3-ring binder full of recipes clipped from newspapers, magazines, and handwritten on 3 x 5 cards and scraps of paper.  These recipes are taped, stapled, glued, and torn, but, they are well-used and loved.  Do you have one of those at your house too?  I came across this recipe and thought I would give it a try in place of a birthday cake.  It turned out great!  It really was like eating a bite of a banana split or ice cream sundae, and because it was frozen, the birthday candle stayed right in place.  I stuck to the ingredients in this recipe, but, I think next time I will get a little more creative and try sliced strawberries in addition to the bananas and maybe a caramel layer as well.  I love frozen dessert recipes like this that can be easily cut and served.  It can be made days ahead because it keeps so well in the freezer.

Ingredients

  • 3 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, divided
  • 4 or 5 large bananas, sliced
  • 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
  • 1 cup salted peanuts (pecans or walnuts would be good too)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butter
Previous
Next Post »